Healthy Candied Pecans
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
April 15, 2018
Yield: 8 servings (2 tablespoons per serving)
- 3 tablespoons granulated-style stevia
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup pecan halves, left whole or chopped in half
- Cut a large sheet of foil and place it on the counter.
- In a small bowl, stir together the stevia, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Stir in the water until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the pecans to a small saucepan, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the cinnamon mixture. Stir constantly with a spatula until the pecans are completely coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared foil.
Let the pecans cool completely to room temperature, and ensure
the coating has hardened and turned crunchy before breaking
apart any clumps.
Note: Granulated sugar or brown sugar can be substituted for the stevia, but it will increase the calorie and carbohydrate levels.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 9.7g (0.8g saturated fat)
Recipe source: amyshealthybaking.com
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, April 16, 2018