Healthy Caramel Popcorn
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
December 14, 2014
Yield: 3 servings
- 4 tbsp unpopped popcorn
- 1/4 cup regular brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup honey or molasses
- Pinch of salt
- optional for a richer caramel flavor: 2 tbsp margarine
- optional: roasted peanuts, dark chocolate chips, etc.
- Pop the kernels. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the two sweeteners (and the butter spread, if using) and heat on low—stirring occasionally—until the dry sweetener is completely dissolved.
- Pour this mixture over the popped corn and stir to coat. Much of the sauce will fall to the bottom of the bowl, so be sure to scoop it up and keep stirring for a full 2 minutes, until sauce has dried.
- Sprinkle on the salt. Stir again.
- If desired add dark mini chocolate chips, or nuts, or dried fruit.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: .5g
Total Carbohydrate: 30g
Source: Chocolate-Covered Katie: The Healthy Dessert Blog
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Sunday, December 14, 2014