Holiday Soup Mix
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
November 27, 2011
It's time for gift giving without breaking the bank. Gifts from the kitchen are a perfect way to accomplish that! Find a jar and follow the steps below.
Ingredients for the jar:
- 1/4 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup dried navy beans
- 1/4 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup dried whole or split peas
- 3 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat berries
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
Attach a tag with this information to the jar:
To make Bean Soup:
- Combine contents of package with 7 cups water in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or soak bean mixture in the water overnight in a covered pan.)
- Do not drain. Bring beans and liquid to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in one cup diced ham or 1 pound Italian sausage which has been cooked, crumbled and drained.
- Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with salt or seasoned salt.
Variation: Add one 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up and undrained, and one medium carrot, chopped. Cover and simmer for 30 more minutes. Season to taste.
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, November 30, 2011