Kale and Bacon Stuffed Peppers
Prepared by: Amy Vance,
University of Missouri Extension
January 11, 2015
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 bell peppers, seeded, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, seeded, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup kale
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange pepper halves in 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bacon and kale, and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon vegetables into pepper halves.
- Whisk eggs and milk in small bowl until well blended. Pour evenly over vegetable mixture in pepper halves.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven, top peppers with cheese and return to oven. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top each pepper with 2 Tbsp. salsa.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 8.25gSodium 541mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to hhthttp://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, January 29, 2015