Lemon Balsamic Kale
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
November 6, 2011
It's getting closer and closer to the holiday season, which doesn't mean you have to abandon your healthy diet and lifestyle. With a little planning, you can focus on keeping you and your loved ones healthy for the holidays.
- 4 (1-pound) bunches kale
- 4 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons Smart Balance light spread
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Remove stems and center ribs from kale. Wash and pat dry. Coarsely chop to measure 24 cups. Bring water to a boil in an 8-quart stockpot. Add kale; cover and cook 3 minutes. Drain well; place kale in a bowl.
- Melt spread in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in raisins, juice, red pepper and vinegar; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Pour spread mixture over kale. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss well to coat.
Calories from fat: 28%
Fat: 4.7 g
Saturated fat: 2.3 g
Monounsaturated fat: 1.1 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7 g
Protein: 6.3 g
Carbohydrate: 25.5 g
Fiber: 4.9 g
Cholesterol: 9 mg
Iron: 3.4 mg
Sodium: 289 mg
Calcium: 252 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, March 27, 2013