Lemon Chicken with Carrots
March 21, 2010
- 1/2 cup minced fresh chives, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, divided
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Fresh chives (optional)
- Thin lemon slices (optional)
- Combine 1/4 cup minced chives, 2 teaspoons lemon rind, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon oil, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce in a large zip-top plastic bag; add chicken to bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from bag, and pat dry; discard marinade.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 2 teaspoons lemon rind, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce, carrots, and broth, and simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Spoon 1/3 cup sauce onto each of 4 plates, and arrange 1 chicken breast half and 8 carrots on top of sauce. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon minced chives. Garnish with additional fresh chives and lemon slices, if desired.
221 (20% from fat)
Fat: 5 g (sat 0.9 g, mono 2.9 g, poly 0.7 g)
Protein: 29.1 g
Carbohydrate: 14.6 g
Fiber: 3.8 g
Cholesterol: 66 mg
Iron: 1.5 mg
Sodium: 502 mg
Calcium: 53 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, March 26, 2010