Lentil Mango Salad
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
June 7, 2015
Yield: 5 servings (1 cup per serving)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 medium mango or apple
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley and/or cilantro (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or toasted coconut (optional)
- In a large pot, add lentils. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Rinse, peel, and dice mango and bell pepper.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice and discard seeds.
- If using, rinse and chop cilantro.
- Chop walnuts or toasted coconut.
- In a large bowl, use a fork to whisk together lemon juice, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add cooked lentils, mango, and bell pepper. Mix well.
- If using, stir in herbs and nuts or coconut.