Nutty Couscous with Raisins and Vegetables
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
February 26, 2012
Here is a quick side dish that contains all of the major food groups – whole grains, vegetables, fruits and protein. Talk about healthy! The best part is that it takes 15 minutes or less to prepare and the leftovers make a fabulous lunch!
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1½ cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash hands and surfaces.
- Bring water to boil, add raisins and broccoli.
- Once broccoli is tender add green onions, chickpeas, couscous and almonds. Turn off heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and fluff with a fork, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Total fat: 7 g
Sodium: 100 mg
Carbohydrates: 58 g
Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 16 g
Protein: 11 g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, February 23, 2012