Orange Cranberry-Nut Bread
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
January 12, 2014
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp. dried orange peel
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup sugar (or use ¼ cup sugar + ¼ cup powdered sugar substitute)
- 2 Tbsp. shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (or use egg substitute equivalent)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Coat slow-cooker well with nonstick cooking spray.
- Blend flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Mix in pecans; set aside.
- Combine cranberries and orange peel in separate medium bowl; pour boiling water over fruit and stir. Add sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla; stir just until blended. Add flour mixture; stir just until blended.
- Pour batter into slow cooker and cover with lid. Cook on HIGH 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours or until edges begin to brown and center of bread is done. Remove stoneware liner. Cool on wire rack about 10 minutes; remove bread from stoneware liner and cool completely on rack.
Note: This recipe works best in round slow cookers.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 7g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
(Source: Rival.com, adapted by Susan Mills-Gray)
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, February 03, 2014