September 27, 2009
14 servings (serving size: 1 biscuit)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled Smart Balance Light, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large bowl; cut in Smart Balance with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
- Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended; add canned pumpkin. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Reroll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds.
- Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.
Calories: 122 (32% from fat)
Fat: 4.3 g (sat 2.6 g, mono 1.1 g, poly 0.2 g)
Protein: 2.3 g
Carbohydrate: 18.9 g
Fiber: 0.9 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Iron: 1.1 mg
Sodium: 192 mg
Calcium: 59 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, October 09, 2009