Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cornbread
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
October 29, 2017
Yield: 8 servings
(1 wedge per serving)
- 8 tablespoons light margarine, divided
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 7 tablespoons margarine. Stir in cream cheese and 1 cup cheddar cheese until combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Stir in milk and pumpkin until just combined.
- Remove skillet from oven and add remaining tablespoon of margarine. Tilt pan so that melted margarine covers bottom of pan. Pour batter into heated pan and sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 9.4g (5g saturated fat)
Recipe source: Adapted from Melanie Bauer with melaniemakes.com
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, October 31, 2017