Roasted Beet and Orange Salad
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
May 13, 2012
Here is a delicious and healthy salad for Mother's Day. Right now is the perfect time to buy beets, and roasting them is the easiest and most delicious way to cook them!
- 4 beets (2½ inches wide, with root ends and stem ends intact)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, in juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 ounces feta, goat cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub beets, pat dry, rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt. Put beets on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake until tender when pierced, about 1 hour. Refrigerate uncovered until cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Cut off roots and stems, then rub beets with paper towels to remove skin; discard skin. Cut beets in half lengthwise, then slice into half-moons about 1/4 inch thick; set aside.
- Finely zest limes into another bowl. Juice limes and add juice to zest. Add shallots, vinegar and orange juice. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil into bowl. Add beets, toss to coat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover bowls airtight and let stand at room temperature at least 15 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- Arrange arugula on a platter. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Pour beets and dressing over arugula and scatter with orange segments and cheese. Makes 8 servings.
(Amount per serving)
Calories from fat: 61%
Protein: 5 g
Fat: 13 g
Saturated fat: 4.3 g
Carbohydrate: 16 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Sodium: 171 mg
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, May 01, 2013