Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Bananas
Prepared by: Amy Vance
University of Missouri Extension
February 28, 2016
Yield: 6 servings (3/4 cup)
- 1½ pounds of sweet potato
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Poke holes in sweet potatoes and bake for one hour or until soft. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Peel when cool to touch.
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray and put in the halved bananas. Bake uncovered until fruit is soft and juicy, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour the orange juice over bananas. Stir to scrape the drippings and mash the banana well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas, sweet potatoes, spices and brown sugar. Using an electric mixer, blend until smooth.
- Transfer to an ovenproof serving bowl and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition information per serving:
Fat: trace amounts
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, February 29, 2016