Sausage and Apple Breakfast Casserole
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
September 11, 2011
With Fall and apple season right around the corner, it's time for a nice warm and hearty breakfast. This recipe is perfectly suited for cool temperatures and big appetites.
- 8 ounces turkey Italian sausage
- 2 cups chopped Gala apple
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 9 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook for 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in apple and onion. Cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes or until apple is crisp-tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine milk, egg substitute, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, parsley, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in sausage mixture. Add bread, and stir gently to combine. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
Calories from fat: 30%
Fat: 10.4 g
Saturated fat: 4.9 g
Monounsaturated fat: 3.4 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6 g
Protein: 20.7 g
Carbohydrate: 32.4 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 50 mg
Iron: 2.5 mg
Sodium: 762 mg
Calcium: 256 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, September 22, 2011