Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
January 14, 2018
Yield: 8 fajitas (2 fajitas cup per serving)
- 2 teaspoon chili powder (optional for more heat: 1 tsp ancho chili powder 1 tsp regular chili powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 red, green and yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced into strips (3 whole total)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced from top to root
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 8 taco size flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with baking foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. To prepare seasoning, in a small mixing bowl whisk together chili powders, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Next, spread bell peppers and onion slices onto baking sheet. Top with chicken strips then sprinkle garlic and seasoning evenly over chicken strips. Drizzle olive oil over top then toss everything to evenly coat. Spread into an even layer working to keep chicken from overlapping. Roast, tossing once halfway through cooking, until veggies are tender and chicken has cooked through, about 18 - 25 minutes (test a few of the larger pieces to make sure they are 165°F. in the center, careful not to over-bake it or the chicken may be dry).
- Wrap tortillas tightly in foil and warm in oven during last 5 minutes of fajita filling cooking. Drizzle lime juice evenly over top of the chicken fajita filling, sprinkle with cilantro. Serve filling warm in warm tortillas with desired toppings.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 25g (5g saturated)
Recipe source: Cooking Classy
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Saturday, December 23, 2017