Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
January 8, 2012
This is a low-calorie soup that will keep you warm and on track with those New Year's resolutions!
- 1/2 cup pre-sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon chili oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add juice, pepper, shrimp and tofu to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are almost done.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Slowly drizzle egg white into pan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chili oil and onions.
Calories from fat: 18%
Fat: 4.7 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Monounsaturated fat: 0.8 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3 g
Protein: 38 g
Carbohydrate: 9.4 g
Fiber: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 252 mg
Iron: 5.7 mg
Sodium: 736 mg
Calcium: 98 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, February 15, 2013