Skinny Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray,
University of Missouri Extension
June 10, 2017
Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup per serving)
- 3 cups whole grain pasta of choice
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half and half, or more, as needed
- 2 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Within the last 3 minutes of cooking time, add cauliflower; drain well.
- Melt butter in a 9-inch oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in half and half, and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, Dijon and garlic powder until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted, about 1-2 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more half and half as needed; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in pasta and cauliflower; gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Place into oven and bake until bubbly, about 12-15 minutes.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 8.5g
Saturated Fat: 5.3g
Source: adapted from Chungah Rhee
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, June 12, 2017