Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
August 26, 2012
What kid doesn't like a Sloppy Joe? And what parent doesn't like an easy dinner that the kids will eat? This is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is good for you! Bonus: Make a double batch and freeze half for later.
Makes 8 servings
- 12 ounces 90% lean ground beef or lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cups finely chopped button mushrooms
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Crumble beef into a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat until it starts to sizzle, about 1 minute.
- Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables are soft and the moisture has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and flour; stir to combine. Stir in water, vinegar, chili sauce and ketchup and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the onion is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm on buns.
6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono)
28 mg cholesterol
31 g carbohydrates
14 g protein
5 g fiber
436 mg sodium
504 mg potassium
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, March 26, 2013