Spinach and Feta Pasta
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
May 15, 2011
This pasta features a nutritional powerhouse that is in season and available at your local farmer's market — spinach! Spinach is at the center of this vegetarian pasta dish, making it a budget friendly addition to any weeknight menu.
Makes 12 servings
- 8 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 8 cups hot, cooked whole wheat pasta (any medium size, hollow shape whole wheat pasta)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (19-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss well.
Calories from fat: 27%
Fat: 8.6 g
Saturated fat: 2.3 g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.2 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3 g
Protein: 11.2 g
Carbohydrate: 42.2 g
Fiber: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 9 mg
Iron: 3.6 mg
Sodium: 334 mg
Calcium: 106 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, May 17, 2011