Stuffing with Mushrooms and Artichokes
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
November 11, 2012
Thanksgiving is right around the corner so here is another recipe to help you plan a healthy Thanksgiving dinner! In last week's recipe, we drastically cut the fat in mashed potatoes and we're doing the same with this stuffing recipe. You won't miss the fat because this recipe retains all the flavor.
- 1 pound mushrooms, trim ends then rinse and slice mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- About 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 loaf (1 pound) stale sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- In a 12-inch frying pan over high heat, cook mushrooms, olive oil, onions, celery and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a bit of broth to pan and stir to scrape up browned bits. Add to bowl.
- Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add bread, artichoke hearts, parmesan, poultry seasoning and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in stuffing. Add egg and beat with a fork to blend; mix egg with stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 325° to 350°. Spoon stuffing into a shallow 3-quart (9- by 13-inch) casserole dish. For moist stuffing, cover with foil; for crusty stuffing, do not cover. Bake until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes.
Calories from fat: 29%
Protein: 9 g
Fat: 6.2 g
Saturated fat: 2.5 g
Carbohydrate: 26 g
Fiber: 2.7 g
Sodium: 554 mg
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, April 30, 2013