Sweet and Spicy Gift Mix
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
November 25, 2012
Gifts from the kitchen are always fun to give and receive. This recipe is easy to make, tastes great and bonus: it's good for you too! Put this mix in a festive container and you have a gift for someone or a treat for a holiday party.
Makes 12 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup dried pineapple chunks
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 15½-inch-by-10½-inch baking sheet with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Generously spray a heavy skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray. Add garbanzos to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the beans begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer garbanzos to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the beans lightly with cooking spray. Bake, stirring frequently, until the beans are crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Lightly coat a roasting pan with butter-flavored cooking spray. Measure the cereal, pineapple and raisins into the pan. Add roasted garbanzos. Stir to mix evenly.
- In a large glass measuring cup combine honey, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir to mix evenly. Pour this mixture over the snack mix and toss gently. Spray mixture again with cooking spray. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the mixture from burning. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.
(Per serving, serving size: 1/2 cup)
Total fat: trace
Saturated fat: trace
Monounsaturated fat: trace
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 192 mg
Total carbohydrate: 36 g
Dietary fiber: 3 g
Protein: 3 g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, March 25, 2013