Taco Chili Gift Mix
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
December 2, 2012
Gifts from the kitchen are always fun to give and receive. Put this mix in a festive jar, attach a gift tag with instructions and you have a fun, easy gift!
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dried red beans
- 1 (1¼ ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or chipotle chili pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ cups tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- Layer ingredients in a 1-quart, wide-mouth jar in the following order: kidney beans, pinto beans and red beans. Place the taco seasoning mix, onion, chili powder and cumin in small plastic zip-type bag. Seal bag and place bag in jar. Add tortilla chips. Seal jar.
Decorate jar and attach the following instructions on a gift tag:
Taco Bean Chili
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 jar Taco Bean Chili Mix
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14½ ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles (Ro*Tel), undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey, browned and drained
- Shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, sliced black olives (optional)
- Remove tortilla chips and seasoning packet from jar mix. Set aside.
- Place beans in large bowl. Cover with water. Soak 6 to 8 hours or overnight. To quick-soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour. Drain beans, discard water.
- Place soaked beans, water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, ground beef and contents of seasoning packet in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Crush tortilla chips. Stir into chili and cook 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Serve with cheese, lettuce and olives, if desired.
*Use leftover chili to make a taco salad.
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, March 22, 2013