Tomato and Roasted Pepper Grilled Cheese
July 12, 2009
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 8 (1-ounce) thin slices sourdough bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced 2% reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces thinly sliced fontina or provolone cheese
- 8 (1/8-inch thick) slices tomato
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- Stir together mayonnaise and pesto sauce. Spread evenly on 1 side of each sourdough bread slice. Place 4 bread slices, pesto sides down, on wax paper.
- Layer each of the 4 bread slices on wax paper with 1 fontina cheese slice, bell peppers, tomatoes, and 1 cheddar cheese slice; top with remaining bread slices, pesto sides up.
- Cook sandwiches, in batches, on a hot panini maker or in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, gently pressing with a spatula, 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese has melted.
Protein: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Vitamin C: 44% Daily Value (DV)
Sodium: 322 mg, 17% DV
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, July 23, 2009