Tomato Salad with Artichokes and Fennel
Jami Nolen, Nutrition Program Associate
July 8, 2012
Makes 10 servings
- 2 jars (6.5 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained, reserve 1/4 cup of marinade for dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 head fennel (about 3 inches wide)
- 6 cups cherry tomato, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered red onion
- Fresh-ground pepper
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk 1/4 cup artichoke marinade, vinegar, mustard and garlic.
- Rinse and drain fennel. Trim off and discard remaining stalks, root end, and any bruised areas. Cut head in half lengthwise across widest dimension, then cut each half crosswise into paper-thin slivers.
- Add fennel, tomatoes, olives, basil, onion and artichoke hearts to dressing in bowl. Mix gently to coat. Add pepper to taste.
(Amount per serving)
Calories from fat: 56%
Protein: 2.2 g
Fat: 6.7 g
Saturated fat: 0.9 g
Carbohydrate: 11 g
Fiber: 4.1 g
Sodium: 493 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, May 01, 2013