Brunch Tostados with Avocado Salsa
Prepared by: Amy Vance,
University of Missouri Extension
May 14, 2017
Yield: 8 servings (1 tostada per serving)
Avocado Salsa Verde
- 2 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced (seeds removed if you prefer less spice)
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, packed tightly
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp each: chili powder, garlic powder, cumin
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup finely shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a blender, add tomatillos, jalapeno slices, avocado, cilantro and 1/2 of the lime juice. Blend until slightly chunky.
- In a separate bowl, add beans, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin; smash beans to mix with spices.
- Place tortillas on lightly sprayed baking sheet. Bake 5 minutes then remove from oven.
- Add bean mixture and cheese to top of tortillas and bake in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook your eggs to your preference. Remove tortillas from oven, top with eggs and avocado salsa verde.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 14g
Source: modified from I Wash You Dry
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, May 15, 2017