Unstuffed Pepper Soup
Prepared by: Amy Vance,
University of Missouri Extension
January 8, 2017
Yield: 6 servings
(1½ cups per serving)
- 1 pound ground beef, browned
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 15-ounce cans no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt tomato sauce
- 32 ounce no-salt beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT rice into slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking time, stir in rice.
- Place all ingredients, EXCEPT rice and 32 ounces of beef broth, into freezer bag. Freeze.
- Thaw in fridge overnight and place in slow cooker in the morning with the beef broth. Follow cooking directions above.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 7.7g
Saturated Fat: 2.7g
Source: modified from Who Needs a Cape
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Thursday, February 16, 2017