Veggie Rice Balls
Prepared by: Amy Vance, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
December 3, 2017
The recipe theme for December is healthy appetizers.
Yield: 6 servings (3-5 balls per serving, dependent on size)
- 1 can (8.25 ounces) no-salt added mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup finely crushed crisp rice cereal
- Non-stick spray oil for baking
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Purée the mixed vegetables, egg, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a blender or food processor.
- Mix purée with rice, cheese, salt and pepper until completely combined. Scoop tablespoon-size balls of the rice mixture and gently form into balls, rolling them in the crushed rice cereal to coat.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and coat with spray oil. Place balls on the sheet and spray with more oil. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving
Total Fat: 3.5g
Recipe source: Adapted from Mealtime.org
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to https://mydss.mo.gov/food-assistance/food-stamp-program. For more information, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, December 11, 2017