Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
August 28, 2016
Yield: 4 servings (3 pinwheels per serving)
- 4 large radishes
- 1 small carrot
- 1 cup salad greens
- 3 sprigs fresh herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro, or a combination)
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces low-fat Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- Optional: 5 ounces thinly sliced roasted turkey
- Scrub and rinse radishes and carrots. Rinse salad greens. Pat all veggies dry. Use a vegetable peeler to peel radishes and carrots into long, thin strips into a medium bowl. Rinse the herbs and tear the leaves into small pieces. Rinse the lemon and zest using the small holes of a box grater. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Grate the cheese.
- Slice the avocado lengthwise. Remove the pit and scoop the avocado out of the shell. In a small bowl, use a fork to mash the avocado. Stir in the yogurt. Squeeze a little bit of the lemon juice onto the avocado mixture. Add the herbs and a pinch of lemon zest and stir.
- Warm 1 tortilla in the microwave for 30 seconds; longer if needed. Place the warm tortilla on a cutting board. Spread 1/3 of avocado mixture over the center of the tortilla. Layer with 1/3 greens, 1/3 veggie strips, and 1/3 cheese. If using turkey, add 1/3 now. Squeeze more lemon juice over the mixture. Roll the tortilla and toppings into a log shape. Slice into four pinwheels. Repeat the process for the other two wraps.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. Serve on a bed of greens or with whole grain bread.
Nutrition information per serving (3 pinwheels)
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, August 01, 2016