Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker
Prepared by: Tammy Roberts,
University of Missouri Extension
September 25, 2016
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 pound)
- 2 ribs of celery cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots cut into ½-inch slices
Make a rub for the chicken with the following spices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Rub the thawed chicken inside and out with the spice rub mixture.
- Place the vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker and put the chicken on top, breast on the bottom.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours; high for 4-5 hours. Remove chicken and shred meat.
- Store the liquid in a container in the refrigerator to use in other recipes. Be sure to skim fat before using.
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Monday, September 26, 2016