Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Prepared by: Kelsey Jeter
University of Missouri Extension
July 19, 2015
Yield: 8 servings
- 1¼ cups marinara sauce
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 ounces lean Italian chicken sausage (removed from casing)
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute.
- Remove from water. Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12" baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large pan, brown sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks until browned; set aside.
- Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper, and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly. Top each zucchini with 2 tablespoons sauce, 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.