"Fried" Zucchini Sticks
January 24, 2010
It's almost time for the Super Bowl! Here is a healthier alternative to the usual game day snacks.
8 servings (serving size: 6 zucchini sticks and 1/4 cup sauce)
- 3 large zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups marinara sauce or fat-free ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- To prepare zucchini, cut 1 zucchini in half crosswise; cut each half lengthwise into 8 wedges. Repeat procedure with remaining zucchini.
- Combine breadcrumbs, panko, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Dip zucchini in egg substitute; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place zucchini on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat zucchini with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° F for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce.
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Fat: 28 grams
Sodium: 480 mg
Fiber: 2 grams
Calcium: 80 mg
Vitamin A: 18 mcg
Vitamin C: 5 mg
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Tuesday, March 26, 2013