Prepared by: Susan Mills-Gray, Nutrition Specialist, University of Missouri Extension
August 11, 2013
Makes 12 ¼ cup servings
- 2 cups seeded and chopped fresh melon, honeydew, cantaloupe or watermelon, (use one kind or a combination)
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped onion, red or white
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped cilantro or mint (optional)
- ½ - 1 seeded and finely chopped jalapeño or hot sauce to taste
- ¼ cup lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar, white or brown
In a medium size bowl, stir together all ingredients. Taste and season with more lemon or lime juice, sugar if needed.
Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Caution: When handling hot peppers, the oils
can cause burning and skin irritation. You can wear clean
kitchen gloves or wash hands thoroughly after preparing.
KEEP HANDS AWAY FROM EYES.
(Amount per serving)
Recipe source: University of Missouri Extension, Family Nutrition Education Program
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/. For more information, call MU Extension's Show-Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Wednesday, July 31, 2013