Featured Recipes from Seasonal and simple
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 4 heads broccoli or about 8 cups when florets and stems are chopped
- 1˝ onions, chopped
- 3˝ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- In a medium pot, melt butter and sauté onions and garlic until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, mash broccoli with a potato masher or fork. If broccoli is not tender enough, continue to simmer until broccoli reaches desired doneness.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour and milk. Stir until mixture is thick and bubbly. Add milk mixture to soup and serve.
To order Seasonal and simple, visit the MU Extension Publications website.
For more information on nutrition and physical activities you can do with your family, call MU Extension’s Show-Me Nutrition Line at 1-888-515-0016.
Last update: Friday, March 22, 2013