What are some tips for safe shopping from home?
- Know who you're dealing with.
- Provide personal information only if you know who is
collecting it, why and how it will be used.
- Don't act on impulse or under high pressure sales
- Get a complete description of all items and terms of
the transaction (including shipping and handling
charges, etc.). What is the return policy?
- Pay with a credit card if possible. The credit card
company will help you resolve any disagreement over
billing with the seller.
- If you order over the Internet, be sure the site is secure. This will be indicated by a picture of a padlock on the bottom of your browser screen.
Brenda Procter, M.S., State Specialist &
Personal Financial Planning, University of Missouri-Extension
Last update: Friday, April 21, 2006