MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Quick Answers...Finance/Credit



How do I correct a mistake on my credit report?

After noticing a mistake on your credit report, notify the credit bureau of the problem and provide as much backup as possible. The bureau must (at no charge) investigate the issue. It must then correct any mistake or delete any wrong information. You can also contact the creditor if you feel the information has been reported incorrectly. They may be able to assist you. Finally, you can file a written statement (up to 100 words) that must be kept on file explaining your side of the story.






Brenda Procter, M.S., State Specialist & Instructor
Personal Financial Planning, University of Missouri-Extension

Last update: Saturday, April 22, 2006
















University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia