MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Quick Answers...Fraud/Scams



What do I do if I have been the victim of consumer fraud?

If you have been conned, the first thing you must do is to act quickly! Contact local and state authorities and file a report. Call the Missouri Attorney General's hotline (1-800-392-8222) and let them know what has happened. You may find that you are not alone and that several others have fallen victim to the same scam as you. Report the con to the National Fraud Information Center (1-800-876-7060). If mail was involved, contact the local postal inspector. Finally, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Though the Better Business Bureau cannot help you get your money back or press charges, by placing a report on file with them, you may help others from being scammed by a fraudulent seller.

Most people are embarrassed that they have fallen victim to a scam, and therefore, have a tendency to not report what has happened to them. However, someone committing fraud cannot be stopped if you do not contact the authorities. They will continue cheating innocent people until someone reports them. It is also highly likely that you are not alone. If you have been cheated, others probably have been as well. Until someone takes action, the person committing fraud will not be stopped. Your report could be the one that ends a scam in your area.



Brenda Procter, M.S., State Specialist & Instructor
Personal Financial Planning, University of Missouri-Extension

Last update: Saturday, April 22, 2006






University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia