MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis



Quick Answers



My 24-year-old son has arthogryposis. He has graduated from college and is now employed. Our home is accessible for his wheelchair, but he is now starting to talk about getting his own apartment. What services are there in Missouri for adults with disabilities who want to live independently?

Congratulations! It sounds as if your son is ready to make a major transition in adulthood: moving from the parental home. Missouri has 21 Centers for Independent Living for persons with disabilities. Each center serves a specific geographic region, determined by county, and every county in Missouri is served by at least 1 Center for Independent Living. You can find a list of them at The general goal of every Center for Independent Living is to empower an individual with disabilities to become as independent as they choose. This would probably be a good place for your son to begin his next step toward independence.


Michelle Reynolds, Director of the Missouri Developmental Disabilities Resource Center, University of Missouri-Kansas City



Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Wednesday, April 14, 2010



University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia