MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis



Quick Answers


Our 30-year-old son has cerebral palsy. He lives in the community with support staff that assists with some of his basic living needs. While his mother and I have always been advocates for him, I think he needs some help in learning how to be a good self-advocate. Where can he get this assistance?

If your son would like to learn better self-advocacy skills, he could become a member of an organization called “People First of Missouri”. With chapters located in many communities throughout Missouri, People First exists for and is run by people with developmental disabilities. People First teaches members how to: become a self-advocate, speak up for yourself, stand up for your rights and know the responsibilities that come with rights. In addition, People First teaches members about self determination and how to advocate for others. You can contact People First of Missouri by calling 1-800-558-8652 or you can get more information at:



Michelle Reynolds, Director of the Missouri Developmental Disabilities Resource Center, University of Missouri-Kansas City



Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Wednesday, April 14, 2010


University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia