MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis



Quick Answers


Our daughter was born one year ago, and she has spina bifida. My husband and I are aware that we are going to need to make some financial plans for her future. Where can we go to find out what we need to do?

It is good that you realize the importance of long term financial planning for individuals with developmental disabilities, and that you are choosing to begin those plans early in your child’s life. There are two organizations in Missouri that can assist families with estate planning: Midwest Special Needs Trust and Life Care Planning.


The Midwest Special Needs Trust assists families of any income level establish a way to make contributions into a trust plan. You can reach this program by calling 888-671-1069 or via their web site at

Life Care Planning is a not-for-profit corporation organized to help parents financially support the future care of their child with a disability and to see that the individual receives quality care. Included in their services are establishing a trust, providing for the care of an individual with disabilities in a will, helping to select a guardian or conservator, if needed, and assistance in the selection of a trust administrator. The family pays a small fee for services provided. Life Care Planning can be reached at 877-931-1313. 



Michelle Reynolds, Director of the Missouri Developmental Disabilities Resource Center, University of Missouri-Kansas City


Updated by Maureen Jenkins, Web Editor, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension







Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Wednesday, April 14, 2010


University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia