Relationships Quick Answers
What do children say are the ten most stressful events after your parents divorce?
1. Dad or Mom tells you the divorce took place because of you.
2. Your parents hit each other or physically hurt each other.
3. Your relatives say bad things to your parents.
4. Dad tells you that he doesn't like you spending time with your Mom.
5. Your Mom and Dad argue in front of you.
6. Dad says bad things about your Mom.
7. You have to give up pets or other things that you like.
8. Your Mom acts unhappy.
9. Dad asks questions about your Mom's private life.
10. People in the neighborhood say bad things to you about your parents.
Source: This material is based on rating of 158 young people between the ages of 8 and 15 (average age= 11.5 years). This was reported in a study by I.N. Sandler and colleagues in CHILDREN AND DIVORCE. New York: Gardner, 1988.
Last update: Wednesday, August 20, 2008