Relationships Quick Answers
What are some signs of stress I
might see in my infant or toddler during the divorce
- More crying or tantrums
- Loss of appetite or other digestive disturbances
- Changes in sleep patterns: difficulty getting to sleep or sleeping through the night
- Behavior changes: quieter or withdrawn; fussier; more kicking, hitting, or biting; more difficulty separating; following directions less often
- "Babyish" behavior: thumb sucking or loss of bladder or bowel control. These behaviors usually go away in time.
- Physical symptoms: tummy-aches or headaches
Talk to your pediatrician first if these behaviors appear. If there is not a physical problem, your pediatrician may be able to recommend a counselor or other source of assistance. Organizations such as ParentLink, http://outreach.missouri.edu/parentlink/, can also provide helpful information.
Source: Kim Leon, Ph.D., Former Human Development and Family Studies, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
Last update: Wednesday, August 20, 2008