MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis


Relationships Quick Answers



Where do I go to find a counselor for my child to talk to?

If your child experiences separation difficulties for an extended period of time, it may be a good idea to seek counseling for him or her. If you choose to seek a counselor, some tips for finding a counselor are:

  • Ask your pediatrician or school guidance counselor for a referral
  • Contact your state’s Department of Mental Health. Go to and click on your state. The Department of Mental Health may be able to direct you to low-cost counseling.
  • Search for a therapist through the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy website:
  • Search for resources and counselors in Missouri via the American Counseling Association of Missouri website:



Kim Leon, Ph.D., Former Assistant Professor and State Specialist, Human Development & Family Studies, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension


Alison Levitch, Human Development & Family Studies Graduate Student, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension







Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Friday, August 22, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia