MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis


Relationships Quick Answers



My children’s other parent is not a good influence on our children. What can I do to change the current visitation arrangement?

Contact your attorney about going to court and changing the visitation arrangement, or you can try mediation. Mediation is a way to resolve conflict in which a neutral third party, a mediator, helps the conflicting parties come to an agreement. It can be less expensive than going to court and may result in an agreement that will work better for both of you and your children. Also, mediation has been found to help children adjust to divorce in the long term. For more information about mediation or to find a mediator in your area, contact the Academy of Family Mediators at

If you need help finding an attorney, you can contact the Missouri Bar Lawyer Referral Service in Jefferson City, MO at (573) 636-3635 - they provide referrals for attorneys statewide, except in the cities listed below. You can find additional information on the Missouri Bar website at

  • In St. Louis
    (314) 621-6681
  • In Kansas City
    (816) 221-9472
  • In Springfield
    (417) 831-2783


Emery, R.E., Laumann-Billings, L., Waldron, M., Sbarra, D.A., and Dillon, P. (2001). Child custody mediation and litigation: Custody, contact, and co-parenting 12 years after initial dispute resolution. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 69, 323-332.




Kim Leon, Ph.D., Former Assistant Professor and State Specialist, Human Development & Family Studies, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension


Alison Levitch, Human Development & Family Studies Graduate Student, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension





Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Friday, August 22, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia