MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis


Relationships Quick Answers



How do I request an order of protection?

You will need to complete a "Petition for Order of Protection,” which you can get from the Court Clerk. Some domestic violence shelters have services to help you get the order of protection. Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 to locate a shelter near you.

For more information, see:

The Missouri Bar’s free booklet on domestic violence:

Where to Look for Help if You Have Experienced Domestic Violence:

Domestic Violence and Divorce:

Missouri Adult Abuse Act at a Glance:




Kim Leon, Ph.D., Former Assistant Professor and State Specialist, Human Development & Family Studies, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension


Alison Levitch, Human Development & Family Studies Graduate Student, Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri Extension








Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Tuesday, August 26, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia