MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Finance Quick Answers



I am a foster parent and I think I might be able to get the Earned Income Tax Credit. How long do I have to have foster children in my home to be eligible?

There is great news for foster parents beginning in tax year 2002. A foster child must have lived with the filer more than half the year (the requirement used to be the full year). Remember that the child must have been placed in your home by a foster care agency to qualify. Also, the child must be under age 19, or under 24 if in school full-time, or totally disabled at any age. 

For more information about the Earned Income Tax Credit and other tax credits that can help you, see Tax Credits for People Who Work.


Brenda Procter, M.S.,  Consumer and Family Economics, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia











Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Sunday, July 20, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia