MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Finance Quick Answers



I can't afford insurance. Are there programs to help me?

Depending upon your unique situation, you or your children may be eligible for one of several types of coverage provided under Medicaid, which provides health care coverage for families who meet certain income guidelines. You can apply for Medicaid and other benefits, like Food Stamps and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, at any Division of Family Services county office.


See "Benefits for Families" at for a set of links to information about social insurance and other important benefits and programs available to families.




Brenda Procter, M.S., Consumer and Family Economics, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia













If you'd like to learn more about this and other personal finance topics, the University of Missouri offers 'Personal & Family Finance,' a correspondence course, through the Center for Distance and Independent Study (800-609-3727). Information about this course is available at





Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Monday, July 21, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia