MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Finance Quick Answers



I can't get an auto insurance company to insure me. What can I do?

Missouri law requires auto liability insurance coverage, but some drivers find it difficult to find a company that will insure them. If you have trouble finding auto insurance, you may be able to get coverage through the Missouri Joint Underwriting Association (JUA). It is made up of all companies selling auto liability policies in Missouri.

Most agents or brokers will give you a JUA rate quote by phone if you ask about it, and most also can issue you immediate coverage. If you have trouble finding JUA assistance, call the Missouri Department of Insurance toll free at 800-726-7390.




Brenda Procter, M.S., Consumer and Family Economics, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia













If you'd like to learn more about this and other personal finance topics, the University of Missouri offers 'Personal & Family Finance,' a correspondence course, through the Center for Distance and Independent Study (800-609-3727). Information about this course is available at





Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Tuesday, July 22, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia