MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Finance Quick Answers



I think my insurance company treated me unfairly. What can I do?

Try to resolve the problem with your agent or broker first. If that doesn't work, try calling the company headquarters and asking for a consumer complaint representative. If you still cannot resolve the dispute with the company, contact the Missouri Department of Insurance, especially if you think the company has violated a Missouri statute or regulation. You can call them toll free at 1-800-726-7390. They can't represent you in a legal sense, but they may be able to assist you.




Brenda Procter, M.S., Consumer and Family Economics, College of Human Environmental Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia













If you'd like to learn more about this and other personal finance topics, the University of Missouri offers 'Personal & Family Finance,' a correspondence course, through the Center for Distance and Independent Study (800-609-3727). Information about this course is available at





Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Tuesday, July 22, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia