MU Extension MU Extension       University of Missouri    ●    Columbia    ●    Kansas City       Rolla     ●    St. Louis - Money Matters - Consumer Action


Finance Quick Answers



How can I obtain an estimate of my Social Security benefits?

It's easier than you might think! The Social Security Administration now sends every adult over the age of 25, who has worked in Social Security covered employment and is not yet receiving benefits, a Social Security Statement every year. This Statement includes a record of earnings on which you have paid Social Security taxes. It also includes an estimate of your Social Security disability, survivor's, and retirement benefits based on those earnings. Statements are mailed approximately three months prior to your birthday month. Instructions for correcting errors in your earnings record are included on the Statement. Errors generally need to be corrected within three years of being posted to your record to insure that your benefits will be calculated correctly.

Workers who do not receive automatic statements can request one at any time. You can request the statement online at Information on how to request a Social Security Statement (formerly called Personal Earnings and Benefits Statement) is available at, your local Social Security office, or by calling





Dr. Joyce Cavanagh, Former Assistant Professor and State Specialist, Consumer and Family Economics, University of Missouri-Columbia















Can't Find Your Question Here? Try Searching Our Quick Answer Knowledge Base

Last update: Friday, July 25, 2008




University of Missouri logo links to

Site Administrator: 
Copyright  ADA  Equal Opportunity

MissouriFamilies is produced by the College of Human Environmental Sciences,
Extension Division, University of Missouri-Columbia