Finance Quick Answers
What are some basic tips I should follow when
shopping for long term care?
- Compare policies. Premiums can vary widely from one company to another. Determine how long the company has been in the long term care business (best if they have been in business for at least 10 years). Be alert to low premium quotes from companies new to this coverage.
- Ask for an Outline of Coverage. Missouri law requires that an agent leave this with you when he or she makes initial contact.
- Understand the policy. Under no circumstance should you purchase a policy you do not understand.
- Free Look Period. Missouri law requires that you have 30 days from the date of purchase to review a policy and decide whether to keep it. If within those 30 days you are not satisfied and terminate the policy, your entire premium must be refunded.
- Save information. Keep the name, address, and phone number of the agent and company you dealt with when purchasing the policy.
- NEVER PAY CASH! Pay by check and make it payable to the insurance company, not the agent.
Dr. Joyce Cavanagh, Former Assistant Professor and State Specialist, Consumer and Family Economics
Last update: Saturday, July 26, 2008